Red Velvet Cake Balls
1. Ingredients for a red velvet cake.
2. Ingredients for cream cheese frosting.
3. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate morsels.
4. Sprinkles, if desired.
1. The first step is to bake a red velvet cake. I like this Paula Deen recipe but you can definitely use a cake mix.
2. While the cake is in the oven, create a batch of cream cheese frosting. Again, feel free to pick up a can of cream cheese frosting if you're pressed for time.
3. After the cake cools, crumble it in a large bowl and mix it with the frosting. I typically just mix it with my hands.
4. Once the cake and frosting are thoroughly mixed, roll the mixture into small balls using the palms of your hands. Place the balls onto a pan lined with wax paper.
5. Place the pan into the fridge for a few hours or the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This hardens the cake balls so that they will stay intact when being dipped into chocolate!
6. Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a double broiler. I typically melt my chocolate in the microwave. I suggest melting the chocolate in 10 second intervals to avoid over-cooking it. It helps to mix in a splash of vegetable oil to keep the chocolate from getting too thick!
7. Roll the cake balls into the melted chocolate or white chocolate (I used both!). The chocolate hardens fairly quickly, so if you want to add sprinkles, make sure to just dip a few at a time!
8. Let the chocolate harden completely. You can speed this up by sticking it back into the fridge or freezer.