- Approximately 4 pounds of pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 5 small onions, separated into rings and then thinly sliced
- 5 jalapeño peppers, sliced and seeded
- 1/2 cup of canning salt (you can substitute with kosher salt, but canning salt works best)
- 5 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- 2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons of celery seed
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes for a bit of spice :)
What To Do:
- The first step is to cut all of your produce. Slice both ends off of your cukes and then slice them into 1/2 inch pieces. We used this handy tool to make them crinkle cut, but a regular ol' knife works just fine. Slice your onions into rings and then thinly slice them into pieces. For your jalapeños seed them and slice them into thin pieces. Make sure you wear gloves for this step to protect your skin!
- Next, we'll want to create a brine. Mix together the vinegars, spices, and sugar. Bring the brine to a boil and then add the produce mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- After sterilizing your jars, tightly pack each jar and fill with brine (stop 1/2 inch from the rim of the jar).
- Place a sterilized lid on each jar and seal it using a canner. We use a steam canner, which I find MUCH easier to use than a water bath canner.